Chicken dippers with mustard sauce
Skill level: Easy peasy
Kids and adults alike will love these delicious golden nuggets of moist chicken with a crisp peppery crust. The dipping sauce is made with mild American mustard lightly sweetened with a little honey and makes a pleasant change from the usual ketchup or soured cream dip. The dippers can be prepared a few hrs in advance, place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and cover and chill in the fridge then just fry when required. Use a bland flavoured oil for frying, such as rapeseed or sunflower oil and drain the dippers thoroughly on kitchen paper before serving.
- 100g plain flour
- 2tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1tsp salt
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets, each cut into four pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Oil for shallow frying
For the sauce:
- 6tbsp mayonnaise
- 2tbsp mild American mustard
- 1tbsp runny honey
- ½ tsp mild paprika
For a spicier crust add 2tsp mild chilli powder and 1tsp ground cumin to the flour mixture.
- Mix together the flour, pepper and salt in a shallow dish. Place the beaten eggs in another shallow dish. Dust the chicken pieces with a little of the flour. Dip in the beaten egg then roll in the flour to give a thick coating.
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan until a cube of bread dropped in the hot fat browns in 30 secs. Shallow fry the coated chicken in 2 to 3 batches, for 7 to 8 mins, until crisp, golden and cooked through, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain thoroughly on kitchen paper.
- To make the sauce, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, honey and paprika in a small bowl. Serve with the hot chicken dippers.