Chicken in cheese and mustard sauce
Skill level: Easy peasy
Chicken smothered in a rich and creamy cheese sauce with a hint of mustard then baked until bubbling and golden this dish is a real winter warmer! Serve with boiled and crushed potatoes, boiled rice or buttered noodles and steamed green vegetables for a filling family supper. If you’re short on time then use a tub of ready-made cheese sauce and heat through gently with the mustard before pouring over the chicken.
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
If you prefer a smooth sauce stir in 2tsp of smooth Dijon mustard or 1-2tsp English mustard powder instead of the wholegrain mustard.
- Preheat the oven the 190°C/375°F/Fan 170°C/Gas Mark 5. Place the chicken fillets in a shallow ovenproof dish, cover and bake the chicken for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a pan. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk.
- Return the pan to the heat and slowly bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5-6 mins, stirring, until you have a smooth thick sauce. Stir in the cheese and mustard and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Uncover the chicken and pour over the sauce. Return the dish to the oven and bake, uncovered, for a further 25-30 mins until the sauce is bubbling and golden.