Quick curried fish soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
It just takes a few ingredients to create this simple and satisfying ultra speedy fish soup. Fresh fish pie mix is a selection of 3 different types of fish usually including, salmon, smoked haddock and white fish such as cod or whiting. You’ll find packets of it in the fresh fish section of the supermarket or buy it from the fresh fish counter. Alternatively just make up your own selection with chunky fillets of fresh fish. Add some large cooked peeled prawns if liked or a few fresh cleaned mussels – add with the fish and discard any mussels that do not open after simmering for 6-7mins.
- 25g butter
- 1 leek, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2tbsp mild curry paste
- 400ml can reduced fat coconut milk
- 300ml fish stock
- 400g fresh fish pie mix, cut into small chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For a spicier soup replace the mild curry paste with 2tsp Thai red curry paste and fry one chopped red chilli pepper with the leek.
- Heat the butter in a deep frying pan until melted. Add the leek and fry gently for 6-7mins until softened. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1min.
- Add the coconut milk and fish stock and bring to the boil. Add the fish, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 6-7mins until the fish is just cooked and flakes easily. Season the soup to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve in warmed bowls.