Sesame prawn toast
Skill level: Easy peasy
These sesame prawn toasts would make the perfect starter for any Chinese meal. Ideal for Chinese New Year celebrations or family parties, these finger-licking prawn bites are easy to make and taste delicious too. Coated in nutty sesame seeds and full of a soft prawn puree filling, these party nibbles only take 20 mins to cook and are only 54 calories and 3g of fat per portion – result! They’re much healthier to make from scratch than to buy in the supermarket because you know exactly what is in them. Serve with a sweet chilli dip and watch them disappear in seconds. If you have any leftover pop them in the fridge and use within 2 days.
- 350g cooked, peeled prawns
- 4 spring onions, trimmed
- 1 level tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 med egg white
- 1 level tbsp cornflour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices med-sliced white bread
- 2-3 level tbsp sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Chilli dipping sauce, to serve
Serve these tasty snacks as a starter with garlic dip or sweet chilli sauce
- To begin making your prawn toast, in the bowl of a food processor, purée the prawns, spring onion, ginger, egg white and cornflour until the mixture forms a thick paste. Season.
- Cut the crusts off the bread, then spread the prawn purée over the slices. Sprinkle over sesame seeds and press them down well. Cut each slice of bread diagonally into 4 triangles.
- Heat a 1cm depth of vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the prawn-topped bread, sesame-side down first, for 2-3 mins on each side, until golden and crisp. Remove from the pan and drain briefly on kitchen paper before serving hot with the chilli dipping sauce. Garnish with a curled spring onion, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 54(kcal)
- Fat 3.0g
- Saturates 0.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.