Ricotta and tomato lasagne
Skill level: Easy peasy
This veggie lasagne will soon become a family favourite. Itís quick and easy to make with layers of pasta, chunky garlic and herb tomato sauce, spinach and creamy ricotta cheese all baked until golden and bubbling. Use dried pasta sheets that donít need to be pre-cooked for ease or you can use fresh pasta sheets. If you prefer replace the ricotta cheese with 600ml home-made cheese sauce or a large carton of fresh cheese sauce. Serve with a mixed peppery salad of watercress and rocket lightly dressed with a fruity olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 2tsp Italian dried herbs
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 1tsp sugar
- 200g spinach leaves, washed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 9 sheets dried lasagne
- 400g ricotta cheese
- 150g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Shredded basil leaves, to garnish
If fresh spinach is unavailable use frozen chopped spinach instead. Leave to thaw in a sieve set over a bowl to allow the excess water to drain away before using.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion, garlic and celery for 5-6mins until softened. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, stock and sugar and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20mins. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Preheat the oven to 190įC/375įF/Fan 170įC/Gas Mark 5.
- Steam the spinach for 3-4mins or until just wilted then chop finely. Spread half the spinach in the base of a greased gratin dish. Top with 3 sheets of lasagne then spread over half the tomato sauce and one third of the ricotta cheese.
- Repeat the layers of lasagne sheets, sauce and ricotta cheese once more then cover with the rest of the lasagne sheets. Spread over the rest of the chopped spinach and top with the rest of the ricotta cheese and the grated mozzarella.
- Drizzle over the olive oil bake in the oven for 35-40mins until the top is golden and bubbling. Garnish with shredded basil and serve.