Pear salad with celery, blue cheese and walnuts
Skill level: Easy peasy
This refreshing salad is a perfect partnership of flavours with sweet and juicy pears and sharp and tangy blue cheese. Choose a red-skinned variety of pear such as Red Bartlett or Red Anjou and pick ones that are just ripe. You can use any variety of blue cheese – go for Stilton or gorgonzola if you like a really strong-flavoured cheese or for a milder taste pick a soft and creamy dolcelatte or cambazola (sometimes called blue Brie). Prepare the salad not more than a couple of hours before serving otherwise the pears and cabbage will lose their crispness.
- 2 large ripe pears, halved, cored and sliced
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 150g red or white cabbage, trimmed and shredded
- 2 celery stalks, chopped, plus a handful of celery leaves
- Handful of flat leaf parsley leaves
- 75g mixed salad leaves
- 50g walnut halves
- 150g soft blue cheese
For the dressing:
- 2tbsp crème fraiche
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instead of walnuts you could use toasted whole hazelnuts or sprinkle the salad with toasted sunflower seeds.
- Sprinkle the pear slices with the lemon juice and toss in a large salad bowl with the cabbage, celery, celery leaves, parsley and salad leaves. Scatter over the walnuts and crumble over the blue cheese.
- To make the dressing place the crème fraiche, oil and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk together thoroughly until combined. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour over the salad and serve immediately.