Carrot and Quorn chilli
Skill level: Easy peasy
For topping a jacket potato or serving with rice, this vegetarian low-fat carrot and Quorn chilli makes a delicious fast family meal. Even meat eaters wonít notice theyíre not eating meat itís so tasty. Quorn is quite bland but readily absorbs the flavours of other ingredients, so itís perfect for cooking with spices and making dishes such as chilli. The added bonus is that it is low-fat too, so if you serve the chilli with low-fat yogurt instead of soured cream you can enjoy a very satisfying low-fat meal. The grated carrot gives sweetness, colour and crunch as well as boosting your vitamin intake.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 300g pack Quorn mince
- 1tbsp mild chilli powder
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 300ml passata or 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 300g carrots, coarsely grated
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Jacket potatoes, watercress and soured cream with chives, to serve
Add a 210g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed, with the carrots if you want to stretch this chilli a bit further.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and green pepper and cook for 5 mins until softened.
- Add the garlic, Quorn, chilli powder and cumin and cook, stirring, for 3 mins. Stir in the passata or chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in two-thirds of the carrots with the parsley and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat through for 1 min. Spoon onto jacket potatoes and top with the remaining grated carrot. Serve with watercress and soured cream with chives.