Skill level: Easy peasy
These coffee-infused cupcakes are easier to make than they look. With an extra soft and moist sponge and a creamy coffee-infused topping, these cupcakes only take 15 mins to cook and 35 mins to prepare and decorate. Not only do they look impressive, they taste delicious too with an extra strong coffee flavour in the topping made from double cream, mascarpone and Masala wine whisked together until thick enough to pipe. Dusted with a light layer of coca powder, these cupcakes are elegant and would make a great food gift for friends and family. If you fancy adapting this recipe you could try the Tiramisu buttercream topping with a chocolate sponge cupcake instead, this would work just as well.
IngredientsFor the cakes:
- 30g plain flour
- 30g self-raising flour
- 15g corn flour
- 15g custard powder
- 3 eggs
- 70g caster sugar
For the topping:
- 200ml double cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 250g mascarpone
- 60ml espresso coffee or strong coffee
- 25ml Masala wine
- 2tbsps unsweetened cocoa for dusting
You will also need:
- Deep muffin pan
- 12 cupcake cases
- Piping bag (optional)
The cupcakes will be good for a few hours out of the fridge (in cool conditions) but if you are not using them by then they will need to be kept in the fridge.
For the cakes:
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat the oven to 160ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark 3 and line the trays with 12 cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the flours and custard powder and sift together.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk all the eggs for 1-2 mins using an electric mixer on medium speed, then turn up the speed and whisk for a further 10 mins. Add the caster sugar gradually, beating until the sugar has dissolved, then beat on high for a further 10 mins until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Fold the mixture into the flour until just combined.
- Fill the cupcake cases to three-quarters full and bake for around 15 mins. Test they are cooked by inserting a toothpick, if it comes out clean, they are done. Remove from the trays and cool on wire racks for 30 mins.
For the topping:
- Using a skewer or toothpick poke holes almost through to the bottom of the cupcakes.
- Mix 30ml of cold espresso and 10ml of Marsala and, using a teaspoon or syringe, dribble a little of the mix into the hole in the cupcakes.
- Place 2tbsps of cold espresso, 1tsp of Marsala, the mascarpone and double cream and icing sugar into a large bowl and whisk until the mix is stiff enough to pipe. Stop mixing just as it’s thickening or it will be too thick to pipe.
- Pipe or spread the cream on to the tops of the cupcakes. If you would like to pipe the toppinf, just snip the end off a disposable piping bag, there's no need for a nozzle. Start in the centre and pipe up and around into a spiral, finishing by pushing down a little and pulling up quickly.
- Dust with the unsweetened cocoa powder just before you serve them.