Blue cheese burger with rocket
Skill level: Easy peasy
It’s well worth the effort to make home-made burgers. All you need is some good quality minced beef, onion, garlic, mustard and seasoning. Here we’ve added a hidden middle of tangy blue cheese which melts and oozes out of the burgers during cooking. Choose mince that is not too lean as a little fat is needed to keep the burgers moist and pick a well flavoured blue cheese such as Stilton or dolcelatte. You can prepare the burgers a day in advance then cover and chill in the fridge until required.
- 500g minced beef
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1tsp smooth mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g blue cheese, crumbled
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 4 burger buns, halved and toasted
- 50g rocket leaves
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
For milder flavoured burgers replace the blue cheese with slices of smoked Austrian cheese or some crumbled Wensleydale cheese.
- Place the mince in a bowl and add the chopped onion, garlic, mustard and plenty of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each into a round flat pattie. Place one-quarter of the blue cheese in the centre of four of the patties, then top with the remaining patties and pinch the edges together to completely enclose the cheese.
- Flatten each burger slightly between the palms of your hands then brush with a little olive oil. Cook under a medium pre-heated grill for 7-8mins on each side until browned and cooked through. Serve the burgers in the toasted buns topped with rocket and red onion.