Grilled courgettes with feta
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Think courgettes are bland and boring? Here’s a recipe to convert you. Grilled in slices to bring out their sweetness and topped with salty feta and a dash of chill sauce they really come alive. If you grow your own courgettes, this recipe is perfect for when they’re growing faster than you can use them. Cut larger ones into slices, or if using smaller courgettes cut them in half lengthways. Served with salad they make a delicious light meal or starter or serve them as a side dish with burgers, chops and sausages. We guarantee they’ll go down a storm.
- 2 large or 3 medium courgettes, sliced
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 100g full-fat soft cheese
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2tbsp sweet chilli sauce
Instead of feta cheese mix grated mature Cheddar with the soft cheese or simply top the courgettes with thinly sliced goat’s cheese.
- Preheat the grill to medium and line a baking tray with foil. Lay the slices of courgettes on the baking tray in a single layer. Brush with half the oil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Grill for 3-4 mins until starting to soften. Turn the courgettes, brush with the remaining oil, season and grill for a further 2 mins.
- While the courgettes are cooking, mix together the soft cheese, feta and oregano. Season with freshly ground pepper, feta is salty so there’s no need to add salt. Spoon the cheese mixture on top of the courgette slices and return to the grill for a further 3mins until golden. Drizzle over the chilli sauce, to serve.