Sweet and sour pork steaks
Skill level: Easy peasy
Whether youíre grilling outside or in, these sweet and sour pork steaks make an inexpensive tasty meal. Marinated in a mixture of rice wine vinegar (or dry sherry), honey, soy sauce, tomato ketchup and pineapple juice the pork steaks not only stay moist they have a lovely sweet tangy flavour too. If cooking on a barbecue serve with vegetable kebabs made from bite-sized pieces of red, yellow and green peppers, courgettes, red onion and mushrooms. If cooking indoors itís easier to tip all the vegetables into a roasting tin, toss in a little olive oil and roast in a hot oven for 20 mins until tender.
- 3tbsp rice wine vinegar or dry sherry
- 2tbsp runny honey
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3tbsp pineapple juice
- 4 pork steaks
- Pink peppercorns and oregano leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Vegetable kebabs or roasted vegetables, to serve
You can use the juice from a can of pineapple slices in the marinade and grill the pineapple to serve with the pork.
- In a large shallow dish mix together the rice wine vinegar or dry sherry, honey, soy sauce, tomato ketchup and pineapple juice. Add the pork steaks, turn to coat in the marinade, cover and leave to marinate for 30 mins at room temperature or several hours in the fridge, if you have time.
- Remove the pork steaks from the marinade and barbecue or grill for 8-10 mins, turning and brushing with the marinade occasionally, until lightly charred in places and cooked through. Sprinkle with pink peppercorns and oregano leaves, if using, and serve with vegetable kebabs or roasted vegetables.