Cheesy pancake bake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Sweet or savoury pancakes - which are your favourites? How about both! If you're looking to really celebrate pancake day, here's a dish you can try for your main course before you tuck into sweet pancakes for dessert. They're very simple to make and the whole family will love these hot, cheesy baked pancakes filled with bacon, savoy cabbage and mozzarella. The secret to great pancakes is to use a very shallow frying pan. Make sure it's nice and hot and always throw the first pancake away. Once made, put a sheet of greaseproof paper between each pancake and wrap in a clean tea towel to keep them moist.
- Our basic pancake recipe
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- ¼ savoy cabbage, finely sliced
- 1tsp caraway seeds
- 1 ball mozzarella, sliced
- 100g Cheddar cheese, grated
Make a batch of pancakes and then freeze them. Stack them with greaseproof paper between each one and place in a freezer bag. Defrost for 1 hour at room temperature before warming through.
- Make your pancakes using the recipe above and then set aside to cool.
- Preheat the grill. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and then add the chopped bacon. Stir until nice and golden.
- Add the cabbage and the caraway seeds, stir to combine, then turn down the heat and put a lid on the saucepan. Cook for 7 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- Stir in the mozzarella, season and remove from the heat.
- Divide the mixture between four pancakes, placing it down the centre of the pancake. Fold in each side of the pancake and transfer to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle liberally with the Cheddar cheese and then place under the grill for 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden.