Spicy meatballs with potato salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Spicy meatballs with potato salad is the perfect way to integerate potato salad into a main meal rather than a side dish. Not only can you serve these spicy meatballs with the potato salad but make them all year round - our favourite way to use up a packet of mince. In the summer they're delicious with a barbie and in the winter they're a warming mid-week dinner with pasta or brown rice. Especially topped with sour cream. If you make the spicy meatballs into more of a patty shape they are great in burger buns and pitta pockets too. Something to please the little ones (as well as the adults!) and a great meal to serve with potato salad.
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 500g minced beef
- 3tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4tbsp white breadcrumbs
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1egg, beaten
- Salad, cornichons, mustard and ketchup, to serve
- Potato salad:
- 500g new potatoes, thickly sliced
- 100ml soured cream
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- Cress or parsley, to garnish
Any leftover meatballs are delicious cold, sliced and served in a crusty roll or baguette with salad.
- Cook the potato slices for the salad in boiling salted water for 8-10 mins until tender. Drain.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat 1tbsp olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook for 5 mins until soft. Add the garlic and chilli cook for 30 secs.
- Place the mince in a bowl with the parsley, breadcrumbs, paprika and tomato puree. Add the onion mixture and the beaten egg and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix with your hands until everything is evenly combined then shape the mixture into 8 even-sized balls.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, for 10-15 mins until browned and completely cooked through.
- While the meatballs are cooking, finish the potato salad. Mix together the soured cream, mustard and half the red onion and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add to the potatoes and lightly mix together. Sprinkle with the remaining red onion and garnish with cress or parsley. Serve the meatballs with the potato salad, salad and cornichons with mustard and ketchup on the side.
Try our classic potato salad recipe.