Superfood salmon salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
This light and tasty superfood salmon salad is packed full of antioxidants and omega three fish oils. A sprinkling of seeds and nuts over the top helps to keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer. If itís easier you can actually use ready cooked salmon, or you could try hot smoked salmon or trout which has a delicate flavour and is available in most supermarkets. Add some cooked rice or couscous to make a more substantial meal thatís still low fat and healthy. Itís a great one to cook up for lunch for a dish that will leave you feeling satisfied all afternoon and is packed full of veg and vital nutrients.
- 200g Tenderstem broccoli
- 200g salmon or trout fillets, skinned
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Ĺ red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 25g chopped nuts such as brazil nuts or almonds
- 1tbsp mixed seeds such as linseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds
- 1 orange
Tenderstem broccoli is perfect for this dish as the stems are sweet and delicious but you can use standard broccoli cut into florets instead.
- To make this superfood recipe, heat a little water in a tiered steamer. When it comes to the boil, add the broccoli to the water, place the steamer on top and lay the salmon inside. Cook for 3 mins until the broccoli is tender and the salmon firm and just cooked.
- Remove from the heat, allow the salmon to cool and drain the broccoli. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chilli, spring onions, nuts and seeds for 3-4 mins until golden. Using a zester or a potato peeler, pare the zest of half the orange into long strips. Add to the pan with a squeeze of juice from the orange. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Flake the salmon into pieces, mix with the broccoli and sprinkle the chilli and nut mixture over the top.