Baked cod with capers
Skill level: Easy peasy
This is super quick and super tasty- ideal when you want a hassle-free low-fat meal. It is smart enough to serve to friends for supper too - just double up the quantities accordingly and serve with green beans or broccoli and new boiled potatoes or just with a fresh green salad and a chilled glass of wine. We’ve used cod loin, considered to be the best part because of its thickness and sweet flavour but you can of course use ordinary pieces of fillet. Large caper berries look attractive, but smaller capers are fine too.
- 2 pieces cod loin about 150g each, skinned
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ a lemon, plus lemon wedges, to serve
- 1tbsp caper berries
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 150g cherry tomatoes
You can use frozen fish fillets, just cover the dish and cook for about 20 mins before adding the tomatoes. The fish is cooked when it is white and flakes easily.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4. Place the cod in individual baking dishes and drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, top with the capers and spring onions and bake for 10-12 mins.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and bake for a further 5 mins until the tomatoes are just softened and the fish flakes easily. Serve hot with wedges of lemon.