Drop scone pancakes with blueberries and thyme butter
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Why not try making drop scones (Scotch pancakes) instead of pancakes this Pancake Day? These thick pancakes are served with golden thyme butter which melts in the mouth and tangy blueberries too. They only take 20 mins to cook and make 12-16 pancakes depending on the size of the pan. If you're not a fan of blueberries you could use other berries instead like strawberries or blackberries. Not only are these pancakes great for Pancake Day, they'd also make a delicious breakfast treat at the weekends or naughty afternoon snack. They're so easy to make and don't break the bank either.
IngredientsTo make the scones:
- 250g plain flour
- 1tsp cream of tartar
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½tsp of salt
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 250ml of milk
- 1tbsp of oil
- 2-3tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 90g butter
- 3tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 250g blueberries
- 2tbsp water
- 2tbsp sugar or honey
You could try this recipe with cranberries and rosemary instead for a festive feel
- To make the scones: Sift 250g plain flour, 1 tsp cream of tartar and ½ tsp each bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl. Add 30g caster sugar, 1 large egg and 150ml milk. Whisk to a smooth batter.
- Stir in 100ml more milk, 1 tbsp oil and 2-3 tsp fresh thyme leaves.
- Heat a heavy frying pan or griddle, brush with a little oil and drop in tablespoonfuls of batter and cook until bubbles rise, then flip them over and cook until golden.
- Put them in a clean tea towel to keep warm while you cook the rest of them.
- To make the thyme butter: Soften 90g butter, add 3 tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves. Wrap tightly in cling film in a sausage shape and chill (or freeze).
- Meanwhile, simmer 250g blueberries in a pan with 2 tbsp water for a couple of minutes. Add 2 tbsp sugar, or honey, and simmer until just softened and the syrup has reduced.
- Serve the warm pancakes with slices of butter melted over the top and the blueberries.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 616(kcal)
- Fat 32.0g
- Saturates 15.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.