Grilled aubergine and pepper crostini
Skill level: Easy peasy
These crostini are fabulous to serve as an appetiser or canapé to hand around with drinks at a summer buffet, or to serve as a starter for an alfresco meal. All the preparation can be done in advance so all you have to do is assemble them a few minutes before your guests arrive. You can even cheat and use jars of char-grilled anti pasti vegetables. Serve on toasted French stick, ciabatta or rustic sour dough breads. Sprinkle the crostini with a little grated Parmesan if liked too.
- 1 small aubergine
- 2 courgettes
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper
- 6tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped plus 1 clove, halved (optional)
- 1 French stick
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
You can serve the vegetables hot, or chill them overnight if liked.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Fan160°C/Gas Mark 4 .Cut the aubergine and courgette into thin slices, deseed and cut the peppers into wedges.
- Grease a baking tray with half the olive oil, then lay the vegetables on top and season well. Drizzle with most of the remaining oil, sprinkle with garlic and season well.
- Bake for 20-30 mins, turning once or twice until all the vegetables are softened.
- Slice the bread diagonally and brush each slice on both sides with a little olive oil, then place on another baking tray and bake for 5 mins or until golden and crisp. Rub each slice with a cut clove of garlic if liked. Layer the vegetables on top of the bread with basil leaves in between the vegetables.