Banana maple French toast
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Thick slices of bread dipped in a cinnamon spiced batter, fried in butter until golden and served with a delicious warm chocolate-flavoured maple syrup this is the ultimate sweet treat for breakfast or brunch. Use a chunky farmhouse loaf and make sure the slices are quite thick – if they’re too thin the bread will soak up too much of the batter and go a bit mushy. Slices of sweetened brioche bread can be used instead of white bread but omit the sugar from the batter. For a lighter dish serve the toast with natural yoghurt instead of chocolate syrup.
- 2 eggs
- 150ml milk
- 25g caster sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 25g butter
- 4 thick slices white bread
- 6tbsp maple syrup
- 50g plain chocolate, grated
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
Scatter over a handful of blueberries, raspberries or sliced strawberries instead of the sliced bananas, if liked.
- Place the eggs and milk in a bowl and whisk together thoroughly. Whisk in the sugar and cinnamon.
- Dip the slices of bread in the egg mixture making sure they are completely coated. Heat a large knob of butter in a heavy-based frying pan until foaming and add the soaked bread slices. Fry for 1-2mins on each side until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place the maple syrup and chocolate in a small and heat gently, stirring, until the chocolate has melted into the syrup.
- Serve the French toast topped with the sliced bananas and drizzled with the warm chocolate syrup.