James Martin's bacon and maple syrup waffles
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
James Martin's bacon and maple syrup waffles is a classic waffle recipe. James Martin pulls out the waffle iron for an all-American breakfast of sweet waffles with crisp streaky bacon and maple syrup. These delicious morning treats are easy to make and are perfect for treating the whole family to a sit down meal or cheeky breakfast in bed. They only take 20 mins to cook and are delicious topped with salty bacon which works really well with the sweetness of the waffle and the maple syrup. Make sure the batter has no lumps for the perfect waffle recipe. This waffle recipe is so versatile you could use it with all sorts of toppings such as melted marshmallow for an extra sweet twist or strawberries for a fruity twist.
- 250g plain flour
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 425ml milk
- 100g butter, melted
- 20 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- Maple syrup, to serve
If you haven't got enough time to make the waffles from scratch you could always cheat and use already made ones instead
- For the waffles: Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas Mark 6. Whisk together the waffle ingredients and a teaspoon of salt until there are no lumps. Leave to rest for a moment.
- Meanwhile put the bacon in a baking dish and put in the oven for around 10 minutes. When the bacon is nice and crispy, remove and drain on some kitchen paper.
- Roughly chop a couple of slices of the bacon and add to the waffle mixture, reserving the rest for serving with the waffles.
- Pour the batter into a waffle maker and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with the crispy bacon and drizzle with maple syrup.
James Martin’s United Cakes of America is new and exclusive to Good Food, Sundays – Wednesdays at 9pm from 24th February (Sky/ HD 247, Virgin 260)