Lentil and chickpea soup with lime
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This soup is made with two different kinds of pulses: lentils and chickpeas. It is high in protein but incredibly low in fat, making it a perfect healthy, warming bowlful. It's also vegan, meaning that it's a good quick supper if you're cooking for vegetarian or vegan friends. The chickpeas and lentils combine to make it taste rich and creamy, and the lime cuts through the spiciness of the chilli and cumin to make it a deeply satisfying soup that's also good for you.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 300g cooked chickpeas
- 300g cooked lentils
- 1lb stock
- 2tbsp red wine
- 2tsp cumin
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp paprika
- 2 limes
- 1tbsp olive oil
You can use puy lentils, green lentils, red lentils or split peas for this.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic. Put 2tbsp chickpeas aside.
- Put garlic, lentils, remaining chickpeas, wine and stock in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the spices, and simmer for 20-25mins until the lentils and chickpeas are falling apart.
- Add the juice of one lime, and taste. Add the second if you like. Blend until smooth.
- Fry the remaining chickpeas in a little olive oil until toasted and crispy. Top the soup with chickpeas and additional lime wedges.