Cheesy Marmite crumpets with crispy bacon and glazed mushrooms
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is a marvellously more-ish breakfast or brunch snack – but, of course, it depends on whether you love or hate the savoury yeasty taste of Marmite! We love it. Simply mix Cheddar cheese and Marmite together in a bowl and then spread thickly on toasted crumpets before grilling until the cheese bubbles. It goes wonderfully well with crispy bacon and mushrooms and makes for a lovely treat at breakfast time. Make this great alternative to the traditional cooked breakfast for your family to warm them up on these cold winter mornings. They’ll be full until lunch!
IngredientsFor the crumpets
- 2 crumpets
- 100g strong Cheddar grated
- 1tsp Marmite
For the bacon
- 4-5 rashers of thin streaky bacon
For the mushrooms
- 6-8 white mushrooms, quartered
- Knob of butter
- 1-2tsp Marmite
Don’t like Marmite? Try Worcestershire sauce instead.
- With a fork, mix the Cheddar and Marmite together in a small bowl.
- Toast the crumpets under a hot grill on the flat side, then spread the cheesy Marmite on the other and return to the grill until the cheese bubbles.
- Lay the rashers in a heavy-based frying pan. You won’t need oil. Turn the heat to high and cook for 4-5 mins until the bacon is golden and crispy.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the mushrooms. Cook for 4-5 mins.
- Add the Marmite and continue to cook for a further minute of so until the mushrooms become ‘glazed’ by the buttery Marmite.