Chicken and chorizo pie
Skill level: Bit of effort
This piquant, slightly smoky pie uses a couple of chorizo sausages and is a great use for leftovers from Sunday’s roast chicken (if you have any). If you don’t, roast chicken thighs or breasts in the oven for 20 mins, then chop into chunks. The leeks serve as a mild oniony bed for the rest of the filling. Simply chop up and fry with the sausage and chicken, add some cream before covering with pastry and baking in the oven. This hearty meal is perfect for a cold winter’s evening and will be enjoyed by the whole family.
IngredientsFor the filling:
- Knob of butter
- 2 leeks, finely chopped, including the green parts
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 chorizo sausages, skinned
- Leftovers roast chicken, combination of breast and thigh meat
- 3tbsp double cream
For the top
- 1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry
- A little milk for glazing
Make sure you peel off the tough outer skin of the chorizo before cooking. You don’t want that stuck in your teeth!
- Add the butter to a frying pan, and then gently sauté the leeks until very soft, approx. 5 mins.
- Break up the chorizo and add to the pan, then stir through.
- Add the chicken and continue to cook for approx. 5 mins.
- Add the cream and bring to the boil. Cook for a couple of minutes until the filling is thick.
- Transfer the filling to a shallow baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. On a floured board, roll the pastry out then cut to size to fit the baking dish.
- Brush the top with milk, then put the pie in the oven for 25-30 mins until the crust is golden brown.