Chinese chicken pasties with stir-fried bok choy
Skill level: Bit of effort
This is a wonderful Oriental version of the traditional pasty. Mix up leftover cooked chicken with Chinese store cupboard sauces to make these delicious aromatic hand-held pies that are just as good hot or cold. If you havenít got any leftover chicken, use ready-cooked from the supermarket or cook 3-4 thighs in a moderate oven for 30-40 mins and allow to cool. Make the filling first by cooking the veg with the ginger and then add in the chicken and the sauces. Then make the pastry and spoon in the filling. The pies need to be cooked until golden brown and once finished, serve them with the bok choy.
- Leftover roast chicken
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 2tbsp oyster sauce
- 2tbsp hoi sin sauce
- Pack of ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
For the bok/pak choy
- 2 heads of bok/pak choy
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
Whatís the difference between Bok Choy and Pak Choy? There isnít one Ė theyíre just different names for the same vegetable. Whatever you call it, pak/bok choy is a lovely, fresh, crisp Chinese vegetable thatís perfect for steaming or stir-frying. Stir-fry it with sesame oil and garlic, to use as an accompaniment for these pasties.
- To make the filling. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently cook the garlic, ginger and spring onions for 2-3 mins. Add the red pepper strips and continue to cook until the pepper becomes soft, approx. 5 mins. Add the chicken and stir to combine. Add the sauces and bring to the boil. Cook for approx. 5 mins to thicken the sauce. Remove from the heat and transfer the filling to a bowl. Reserve until needed.
- Flour a surface and roll out the shortcrust pastry to approx. 0.75cm thick. Use a small plate to draw around with a knife to cut out circles. One pack will make 3 circles, or you could make smaller circles.
- Place a couple of big tablespoons of the filling in the centre of each circle. Bring the sides of each circle together. Fold the lip over and, with your fingers and thumbs, pinch the folded lips together. Brush liberally with beaten egg.
- Preheat the oven to 180įC/Gas Mark 4. Oil a baking sheet and place the pasties on the sheet. Cook in the oven for 30-35 mins, until the crust is golden brown. Donít undercook. If it needs a little longer, put back in the oven and turn up the heat.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the bok/pak choy. Heat the sesame oil in a large frying pan. Add the garlic and stir-fry for a minute. Cut off the root and separate the leaves of the veg and add to the pan. Continue to cook for around 4-5 mins, making sure the leaves and stems are covered with the garlic and oil.
- Remove the pasties from the oven and leave to cool a little before serving, sliced open, with the sesame choy.