Twice-cooked Chinese pork belly with red peppers
Prep time:including cooling time
Total time:including cooling time
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
This method of cooking pork belly produces incredible results. First boil the pork in boiling water untli the meat is tender, then drain and fry in hot oil to crisp up the skin and fat. Stir-fry with red peppers, spring onions and black bean sauce before serving on a bed of noodles for a very authentic Chinese meal. This recipe is perfect for that Saturday night takeaway alternative that the whole family can enjoy.
- 300g piece of belly pork, from the thick end, ribs removed (if they’re still in, just run a sharp knife around the length of them and pull them out)
- 2tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 4 spring onions, sliced on the diaganal
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 1tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1tbsp light soy sauce
- 1tbsp Shaosing Chinese rice wine
- 4tbsp black bean sauce
- 1tbsp hot bean sauce
- 2 sheets dried medium egg noodles
You can cook this with any bottled Chinese sauces: yellow bean, hoi sin or oyster.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and fully immerse the pork in it. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 mins. Drain and transfer to a plate, then put in the fridge for 1 hour to firm up.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat 1 tbsp oil and stir-fry the peppers and spring onions for 2-3 mins until tender. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for a further 1 min, then pour in the soy sauces and rice wine. Conitnue to cook for 1 min until the liquid has boiled away. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Using a very sharp knife, thinly slice the pork belly, approx. 2mm thick.
- Wipe the frying pan/wok clean and add 1 tbsp oil. When it gets smoking hot, add the pork and stir-fry for 3-4 mins until it starts to turn golden brown and the fat and skin become crispy. Return the peppers and spring onions to the pan.
- Mix together the black bean sauce and hot bean sauce and pour into the pan. Stir through to make sure the pork and peppers are thoroughly coated. Stir-fry for 1 min until the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve with egg noodles, cooked in boiling water according to packet instructions, approx. 3 mins.