Pepper and egg fried rice
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This pepper and egg fried rice is a delicious way of using up leftover cooked rice for a meal in itself, or as an accompaniment in a Chinese meal. Packed with mixed vegetables like red pepper and spring onions, this easy-to-make egg fried rice is so simple you could even get the kids to help you make it. It only takes 20 mins to cook and is a delicious side dish that uses basmati rice which doesn’t get soggy or sticky either. You can even use leftover chicken from your roast if you want a tasty way to reinvent a meal and and create something delicious and speedy.
- 100g basmati rice, cooked to al dente (approx. 12 mins), then rinsed in cold water
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 3 pepper halves (different colours), deseeded and diced
- 1tbsp oyster sauce
Replace the oyster sauce with hoi sin sauce for a more piquant flavour. Or if you prefer a spicier kick, use sweet chilli sauce, instead
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and add the eggs. Swirl around until the egg coats the bottom of the pan, for approx. 1 min. When it is cooked, transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, add a little more oil, then add all the vegetables and stir-fry for 4-5 mins on a medium heat until everything is tender.
- Add the cold rice and stir to heat through, then the oyster sauce and cook for a further minute.
- Chop the cooked omelette and add to the veggie rice.
- Serve on warm plates, either as a vegetarian meal or with a Chinese accompaniment.