Spicy hoi sin chicken and vegetables with noodles
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
You donít need to go to the local takeaway for an authentic Chinese meal. This dish is a doddle to rustle up and as cheap as chips. Just mix together some Hoi Sin sauce and hot bean sauce until you get a balance of sweetness and heat that works best for you. It only takes 25 mins to rustle up and is perfect served with noodles or even homemade egg fried rice. Marinating the chicken in this sweet and savoury sauce makes the chicken extra tender and moist.
IngredientsFor the marinade:
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1tbsp Shaosing Chinese rice wine
- 1tsp black pepper
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 1tsp cornflour
For the sauce:
- Ĺ jar Hoi Sin sauce
- 1 tsp hot bean sauce
For the vegetables:
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2.5 cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2tbsp vegetable or groundnut oil
- 6 stems of asparagus, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 2tbsp unsalted, roast cashew nuts
- Dried medium egg noodles
This recipe is great with any kind of meat Ė or no meat at all. And any kind of crunchy veg. Why not try bean sprouts and water chestnuts?
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and thoroughly coat the chicken. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil for the noodles.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan until smoking hot, then add 1 tbsp oil. Add the the chicken and stir-fry for 4-5 mins until almost cooked through and the marinade caramelises slightly.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Wipe the pan clean and add the rest of the oil. Turn the heat to medium and stir-fry the ginger and garlic for 30 seconds, then add the vegetables and nuts and stir-fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add the hoi sin sauce mixture and bring to a bubble, then add the chicken. Stir to coat everything and reduce the sauce slightly.
- Add the noodles to the saucepan of boiling water. Cook for 3-4 mins, until slightly al dente i.e not too soft.
- Serve the noodles and pile the chicken, veg and hoi sin mixture on top.