Sweet vegetable and blue brie tart
Skill level: Bit of effort
Think of this tart as a vegetarian pizza with a puff pastry base. Simply roll out a pack of ready-made puff pastry, spread it with a tomato base, then layer it with crunchy par-cooked vegetables and soft blue cheese. The kids will love, the adults will love – it’s an all-round pleaser! It only takes 15 mins to prepare and doesn’t cost too much to make either. This is a much healthier option that your usual takeaway pizza.
- 1 x 500g pack of puff pastry
- A little flour, for dusting
- 5-6tbsp passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 3 red onions, sliced into rounds
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 2tsp soft brown sugar
- Bunch of asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- ½red pepper, deseeded, sliced into strips
- ½orange/yellow pepper, deseeded, sliced into strips
- ½green pepper, deseeded, sliced into strips
- 200g blue brie cheese, broken into chunks
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
Delicious hot or cold – and fantastic for packed lunches or picnics.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, oil and sugar to a bowl then mix in the onion slices and thoroughly coat.
- Heat a large frying pan and cook the onions and their marinade for around 7-8 mins until the onions are very soft and are starting to caramelise. Remove the onions to a plate and set aside.
- Add the asparagus and pepper strips to the same pan and cook for 7-8 mins until tender, but still crunchy.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. On a floured board, roll out the puff pastry to about 1 cm thick. Press a fork down all around the edge of the pastry, both for decoration, but also to hold the egg glaze. Transfer the pastry to a foil or parchment lined roasting try.
- Spread the passata on the pastry in a very thin layer across the pastry.
- Add the vegetables in layers: first the onions, then the asparagus, then the pepper strips.
- Finish by dotting with chunks of blue brie. Brush the edges all the way round with beaten egg.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden. Cut into rectangles and serve, either on their own or with a green salad.