Vanilla peach cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This delicious vanilla peach cake can be served as a cake or dessert for a special occasion. Quick and very easy to make you could use any canned or store cupboard fruit you have available. The soft peaches add a very sweet tangy flavour to the sponge and the soft, double cream filling works extremely well with the moist sponge and fruit. Your friends and family will love this treat. Serve with ice cream for an extra naughty dessert.
- 175g soft margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs, medium
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300ml double cream, whipped
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 400g can peach slices, drained
- Few strawberries, sliced
Try a peach jam filling instead of the cream for a delicious alternative. You can use fresh peaches or nectarines instead of canned if you prefer.
- Preheat oven to 160⁰C/325⁰F/Fan 140⁰C/Gas Mark 3. Grease and line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins.
- Put the margarine, sugar, baking powder, eggs and vanilla extract into a large bowl and mix together for about 2 minutes until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the sandwich tins and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until well risen, golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the filling , stir the vanilla extract into the whipped cream and use to sandwich the two cakes together.
- Arrange the peach slices on top of the cake and decorate with the strawberries.