Walnut yogurt cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
So quickly made, this loaf is delicious for a mid-morning snack with a cup of coffee. Spread with butter or just served thickly sliced, it is good at any time of the day. Great for a quick breakfast with a banana and glass of milk or juice or add a few slices in your packed lunch box! This loaf only takes 35 mins to bake and combines a creamy, thick yogurt with soft brown sugar to make one moreish, moist loaf that the whole family will love. You could even serve this cake as a dessert with ice cream or lashings of double cream.
- 150g natural yogurt
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 25g soft margarine
- 2 eggs, medium
- 100g walnuts, chopped
- 175g self raising flour
- 1-2tbsp runny honey
- 1tsp lemon juice
- A few walnut halves
Try different flavoured yogurt in this recipe – hazelnut is particularly good.
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C/350⁰F/Fan 160⁰C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 450g loaf tin.
- Put the yogurt, sugar, margarine, eggs, half the walnuts and flour into a large bowl.
- Beat together well until smooth and creamy. Spoon into the loaf tin and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until well risen and golden brown or a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the loaf in the tin then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the topping, mix together 1 tbsp of the honey and lemon juice and brush it over the top of the loaf.
- Press the remaining walnuts on top of the loaf and drizzle with the remaining honey.