Cajun style haddock
Skill level: Easy peasy
A spicy and tasty fish recipe which is very quick and easy to prepare and cook. This recipe uses haddock fillets but if you want to push the boat out for a special occasion you could use any firm fleshed fish such as tuna, swordfish or cod. Cook on the griddle for a lovely ridged appearance or in an ordinary frying pan. A tempting mid week lunch or main meal dish, Cajun style haddock is great for a barbeque too. Serve with new potatoes, potato wedges coleslaw and salad.
- 4 haddock fillets
- 2tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp mustard powder
- ½tsp cayenne pepper
- ½tsp dried thyme
- ½tsp dried oregano
- Vegetable oil for brushing
Ready-made Cajun spice mixes are available in supermarkets which are ideal for this type of recipe if you don’t want to buy separate jars of different spices.
- Pat the fish dry on a piece of kitchen paper. In a small bowl mix together the yoghurt and lemon juice and brush the mixture over both sides of the fish fillets. Lay the fish on a piece of greaseproof paper.
- In another small bowl mix together the garlic, cumin, paprika, mustard powder, cayenne, thyme and oregano.
- Coat both sides of the fish with the seasoning mix and press it on well.
- Brush a ridged grill pan or frying pan with a little oil and heat until very hot.
- Add the fish and cook over a high heat for 4 – 5 minutes until the underside is well browned.
- Brush the fish with a little more oil if necessary, then turn it over and cook for a further 4 – 5 minutes or until the fillets have cooked through. Serve immediately.