Creamy Dijon chicken and bacon casserole
Skill level: Easy peasy
A delicious casserole which is good for a family meal or special occasion at any time of the year. The Dijon mustard adds a depth of flavour to the sauce which goes very well with the chicken. Serve this lovely dish with tagliatelle or new potatoes and green beans or broccoli. Cook for approximately 1 hr until the chicken is tender and succulent, packed full of flavour. You add a variety of veggies to this dish including cabbage and leeks too.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 rashers unsmoked bacon, chopped roughly
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 600ml hot chicken stock
- 150ml double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300g frozen peas
You can use skinless chicken thighs in this recipe instead of the chicken breasts as a cheaper alternative. Increase the cooking time to about 1 hour 30 minutes to ensure they are tender. To make the sauce extra special use white wine instead of chicken stock.
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C/350⁰F/160⁰C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Pour the oil into a large ovenproof casserole dish or deep sauté pan and heat on a medium setting.
- Add the onions, garlic and bacon and fry until lightly coloured. Lift out and drain.
- Add the chicken breasts and fry on both sides for a minute or two to brown lightly. Lift out and drain.
- Put the mustard, tarragon and lemon zest into the pan, add the stock and whisk k together until well blended. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Return the onion, garlic, bacon and chicken breasts to the pan, cover with the lid and then transfer to the hot oven.
- Cook for about 45 minutes then remove from the oven, add the peas and stir in the cream.
- Cook for a further 15 minutes. Check that the chicken is fully cooked, giving a little longer cooking time if necessary.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce, season the sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve the chicken with the sauce poured over.