Red Thai chicken, bean and bamboo curry
Skill level: Easy peasy
Red Thai curries are very popular and this recipe is a little different as it has green beans and bamboo shoots which add colour and texture. Delicious served with rice or noodles, this is an excellent dish to serve to family or friends and the perfect Saturday night takeaway alternative that only takes minutes to rustle up. This curry is packed full of classic Thai spices, a creamy red curry flavour and succulent pieces of chicken that are cooked just right. A Naan bread or two wouldn?t go a miss with this recipe.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp ready prepared lemon grass
- Small piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 400ml coconut milk
- 150ml chicken stock
- 4 tbsp red Thai curry paste
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 200g whole green beans, trimmed
- 225g can bamboo shoots, drained
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp single cream or crème fraiche
Small jars of curry paste, ginger, lemon grass and other special ingredients can all be bought from supermarkets or Asian grocers.
- Pour the oil into a wok or deep sided sauté pan and heat on a medium setting.
- Add the onions, garlic and chicken strips and fry gently over a medium heat until the chicken is sealed and the onions are softened but not browned.
- Add the lemon grass, ginger, coconut milk, stock, curry paste and soy sauce and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and bamboo shoots and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked, the beans are tender and the sauce has reduced slightly.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in the cream or crème fraiche. Serve with rice or noodles.