Chilli cottage pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Here’s a variation on two traditional recipes – chilli con carne and cottage pie - combine the two to give a mince base flavoured with chilli and a potato topping. This is an easy and inexpensive recipe, tasty and wholesome and great for a midweek meal served with some extra vegetables. The cheese adds extra flavour to the potato topping on this chilli cottage pie.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 700g lean minced beef
- 2 tbsp tomato purée or ketchup
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml hot beef stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 400g can baked beans or kidney beans
To make the topping:
- 900g potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 25g butter
- 125g mature cheddar cheese, grated
Minced lamb or Quorn can be used in this recipe.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or deep sauté pan. Add the onion and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the beef and fry until browned. Reduce the heat and add the tomato purée or ketchup and stir well.
- Sprinkle on the flour and stir well, then pour on the stock and add the tomatoes and chilli powder.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 40 – 45 minutes until thickened.
- Meanwhile cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for about 20 minutes until tender, then drain and add the butter and a little milk. Mash until smooth and lump free.
- Preheat the oven to 190⁰C/376⁰F/Fan 170⁰C/Gas Mark 5.
- Add the baked beans or kidney beans to the meat mixture and stir together well.
- Spoon the meat mixture into an ovenproof dish and smooth it over evenly. Spoon the mashed potato on top of the meat and smooth it over.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the potato topping and bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the pie is golden and crisp. Serve with green vegetables.