Rhubarb and clementine compote
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This delicious, tangy rhubarb and clementine compote is full of flavour and perfect if you’re looking to make something quick and refreshing for dessert. The sharp flavour of the rhubarb and the citrus burst from the clementine makes a great combination. Serve these sweet treats with ice cream or a light single cream for the perfect finish. You could even top them with grated chocolate for a naughty twist. This recipe has been triple tested in the Woman’s Weekly kitchen and is guaranteed to be a big hit.
- 3 level tbsp golden caster sugar
- 3 sticks of rhubarb (200g), trimmed and cut into 5cm lengths
- 2 clementines, peeled and each cut into 4 slices
- Biscuits, to serve
Add ground ginger to the sugar to spice it up.
- Put the sugar in a frying pan, spread the rhubarb chunks over and add the slices of clementine. Cook over a med heat for 3-4 mins, shaking the pan occasionally until the fruit has softened.
- Take the fruit out of the pan with a slotted spoon and divide it between 4 small dishes. Bring the pan juices to the boil and reduce to a syrup. Pour over the fruit. Serve warm or cool, with biscuits or shortbread.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 57(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.