Mushroom and cheese pork chops
Skill level: Easy peasy
If you want a quick, easy and delicious meal for midweek or special weekend occasion then this recipe really fits the bill. Canned sliced mushrooms and blue cheese make a very simple topping for loin chops, complimenting the flavour of the pork without masking it. Serve the Mushroom and Cheese Chops with sauté potatoes and pan wilted spinach for a really impressive meal.
- 700g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 loin pork chops
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 300g can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 150g Stilton or other blue cheese such as Danish Blue
- 25g butter
- 100g spinach
You can use fresh small button mushrooms in this recipe if you prefer – slice them thinly and fry in a little butter to soften them before adding to the chops. If you don’t like blue cheese try Gruyere or Emmental for a milder flavour.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for about 15 minutes until tender. Drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, brush the chops on both sides with 1 tablespoon of the oil and place on the grill pan.
- Grill the chops for 20 – 25 minutes, turning them once, until fully cooked.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and when hot add the potatoes and sauté until golden brown.
- When the chops are cooked, arrange the mushrooms on the chops in an even layer and add slices of cheese to cover the mushrooms.
- Return to the hot grill for 2 – 3 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and melted.
- Melt the butter in a separate frying pan, add the spinach and cook for a few minutes until wilted.
- Put the spinach on the serving plates, add sauté potatoes and top with the cheese topped chops.