Creamy courgette risotto
Skill level: Bit of effort
If you grow your own vegetables you can often have a glut of courgettes. If you don’t’ know what to do with them all why not try a delicious courgette risotto? Many people are put off making risottos because they think they take a long time to make and need a lot of attention. However, stirring the rice can be quite therapeutic and relaxing and this tasty dish is well worth the effort. This creamy risotto is packed full of flavour and perfect for vegetarians.
- 1.2 litres hot vegetables stock
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 225g risotto rice e.g Arborio
- 150ml dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 450g courgettes, cut into small cubes
- Small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 40g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 25g butter
The quantity of courgettes is not critical in this recipe so add more or less as you like. Add any other vegetables to this recipe – peas, broad beans or sweetcorn etc.
- Pour the stock into a saucepan and bring to the boil on a medium heat. Reduce the heat and keep the stock simmering – do not allow it to boil and evaporate so remove the pan from the heat if necessary.
- Melt 25g of the butter in a sauté pan over a medium heat, add the onion and spring onion and fry gently until softened but not browned.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook until the rice looks translucent, stir well.
- Pour in the wine and simmer until it has been absorbed by the rice.
- Pour in a ladleful of hot stock and stir until absorbed. Repeat with ladlefuls of the stock, stirring, until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender but still “al dente”
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir well.
- Melt the remaining butter in a frying pan, add the oil and heat on a medium setting. Add the courgettes and fry gently for about 5 minutes until the courgettes are tender and lightly browned.
- Add the courgettes and any cooking liquid to the rice and stir in gently.
- Stir in the parsley evenly. Add the Parmesan cheese and butter and stir in well. Serve immediately.