Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
All the colours of the rainbow, these bright and cheery biscuits are easy to make at home. All you need to do is whip up a batch of dough, colour and shape into rainbows - easy!
- 1 batch of our vanilla cookie dough
- Food gels (we used Dr Oetker)
- Circle cookie cutter - optional
Food gels have less of a flavour then liquid food colourings and don't water down the mixture as much
- Make up a batch of the vanilla cookie dough.
- Separate into 6 balls and colour each one by working a few drops of food gel into the dough. The dough may get a little wet so you can balance it out with a little extra flour.
- Wrap the balls in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for 20 mins.
- Roll out each ball of dough to about 2mm thick. Cut strips of dough (one from each colour) and assemble into the shape of a rainbow. We ran ours along the inside of a circle cookie cutter to get the rounded shape. Press down lightly on the joins of the strips to fix them together.
- Bake for in the oven at 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3, checking after 12 mins. You don't want the cookies to brown and lessen the effect of the colour.