Mexican potato salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
You might not have heard about Mexican potato salad before but it's about to become your favourite summer BBQ dish and a real crowd-pleaser. The addition of chillies to this classic potato salad recipe give it a little kick and has been known to convince those who aren't fans of potato salad! Plus Mexican potato salad is lighter and less calorific than a normal option. You can use any potatoes you have at home and we like to leave the skins on for an extra boost of fibre but make sure to give them a light brush to remove dirt before boiling. Red skinned potatoes look best in this dish so if you're taking to a BBQ you might want to opt for red. Mexican potato salad goes well with all kinds of meats and fish and is ideal for any occasion. This recipe serves 4 but it is very easy to increase the quantities for more portions.
- 8 medium sized new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 4 eggs, medium
- 3 mild green chillis, deseeded and chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 200g mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Substitute half the mayonnaise for crème fraiche or natural yoghurt in this recipe for a refreshingly light flavour.
- Put the potatoes into a large saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 – 30 minutes until soft but still firm.
- Drain the potatoes and add the oil and lemon juice. Shake the pan well to coat the potatoes in the mixture then put the lid on the pan and leave to cool.
- Boil the eggs in a small saucepan for about 10 minutes until they are hard boiled.
- Shell the eggs, leave to cool, then cut into medium sized pieces.
- When the potatoes are cool cut them into cubes and put into a bowl with the chillies, onions and celery .
- Add the mayonnaise and salt and pepper and mix together well, taking care not to break up the potatoes.
- Carefully add the eggs and stir in very gently. Spoon into a serving dish.
If you want to make a classic potato salad, try our recipe.