Bulgur wheat salad
Cooking time:plus soaking
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This bulgur wheat salad is a very healthy choice and can be served on its own or with fish, meat or poultry. Bulgur wheat is very easy to find in supermarkets or health food shops. This is a wholesome and filling dish and is ideal to take for a packed lunch and is great for a Summer lunch or as an accompaniment to a barbeque.
- 375g bulgur wheat
- 750ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 small yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 50g raisins
- 30g pine nuts
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Large handful of mint, finely chopped
- Sprig of basil
Try adding different nuts to this recipe – chopped pecan or walnuts are particularly good and add crunch and texture. Try this bulgur wheat salad instead of rice as an accompaniment to many dishes.
- Put the bulgur wheat into a bowl and pour on the hot stock.
- Cover the bowl and leave for 20 minutes until the stock has been absorbed by the wheat.
- Fluff up the wheat with a fork, then stir in the red and yellow peppers,, spring onions, raisins and pine nuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, olive oil and mint then stir into the wheat mixture.
- Stir everything together until well combined. Season with the salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to the serving dish and garnish with the basil.