Tuna and chickpea salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A complete meal in itself, this tuna and chickpea salad is delicious served with crusty bread. This salad can be served for lunch, packed lunch or as a main meal and is inexpensive to make. You could use any type of fish in this recipe – hot smoked salmon, tinned salmon, mackerel or salmon fillets all make very good alternatives. Packed with goodness and Omega 3, it is a deliciously healthy meal.
- 225g tinned tuna in olive oil
- 410g can chickpeas
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 small, ripe avocado, sliced
- 20g capers
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g bag rocket
If you are making the salad ahead of when you need it, add the dressing just before serving to keep everything crisp.
- Drain the tuna and reserve the oil. Put the tuna into a large bowl and break into flakes with a fork.
- Drain the chickpeas and add them to the bowl.
- Stir in the onion, avocado, capers and coriander.
- Put the lemon juice, vinegar and reserved tuna oil into a small bowl. Add the seasoning and whisk together.
- Pour the dressing into the tuna salad, add the rocket and lightly toss everything together. Serve immediately.