Spanish-style potato and chorizo soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
This richly coloured and delicious soup is particularly warming on a cold day and is wholesome and nutritious. Served with crusty bread it makes a filling lunch. Chorizo sausage gives a wonderfully spicy flavour and makes this potato soup extra special. This dish would be perfect as a starter to a Spanish style feast. If you want to add more to this soup and make it into a hearty main you could add chicken or fish to the mix. This delicious meal takes only 40 mins to prepare and cook and can serve up to 4 people. Store leftovers in an airtight container or Tupperware in the fridge for up to 2 days. Make sure you reheat thoroughly before serving again.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 225g chorizo, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 hot red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 50g red lentils
- 500ml hot vegetables stock
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley to garnish
Ordinary paprika is fine for this recipe but a sweet paprika is particularly good and is usually readily available in the shops. It is also available in a smoky variety too which gives a delicious flavour to this soup.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large saucepan or deep sauté pan. Add the chorizo and fry gently for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the onion, garlic and chillis. Fry gently for about 10 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the potatoes and lentils then pour in the stock.
- Stir in the paprika, thyme and salt and pepper. Stir everything together well then bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are softened and tender. Serve piping hot, garnished with the parsley.