Cherry rice moulds
Prep time:including chilling time
Total time:including chilling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Rice pudding is one of those recipes that evokes childhood memories – good or bad! There’s nothing nicer than a deliciously creamy rice pudding if it is well made. For something a little different why not try a rice mould for a change – simply cook the pudding then spoon into cups or little moulds and chill until firm. Turn them out and serve with a sharp flavoured sauce. This cherry rice mould recipe is lovely for a Summer lunch.
- 850ml milk
- 50g caster sugar
- Few drops vanilla essence
- 100g pudding rice
- 400g can red cherry pie filling or 4 tbsp cherry compote
Any fruit sauce, compote or jam can be served with the rice moulds – why not also try a hot chocolate sauce poured over the chilled rice moulds – equally delicious. You don’t have to turn them out of the cups – make sure you leave a little room on top of the puddings so there’s room for the sauce and eat them straight from the pots. ( just lightly butter the dishes – do not line with cling film)
- Preheat oven to 160⁰C/325⁰F/Fan 140⁰C/Gas Mark 3. Lightly oil or butter a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan and heat gently on a medium heat.
- Add the sugar and vanilla essence and heat until the sugar dissolves and the milk reaches just below boiling point. Add the rice and stir well.
- Pour into the prepared dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Stir well, then cook for a further 30 - 40 minutes or until thickened and creamy.
- Remove any skin from the top of the pudding and discard. Leave the pudding to cool a little.
- Lightly oil, or line 4 ramekin dishes, small teacups or bowls with cling film and then divide the rice pudding equally between each, pressing it down firmly.
- Chill in the fridge for about 1 hour until firm, then turn out onto serving plates.
- To make the cherry sauce, simply heat the cherry pie filling or cherry compote in a small pan. If the sauce is too thick thin it down a little with a little lemon juice or water. Pour the cherry sauce over the rice moulds.