New potato and chilli salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
New potato and chilli salad is a tasty variation on a traditional potato salad. New potatoes are boiled and then sliced finely to add to bacon and spring onions. Topped off with a dressing made from zesty lemons, chilli and oil, this is an upgraded potato salad! We love serving this hot, but it works just as well cold if you want to take it to a BBQ. We love making a little too much and keeping in the fridge for a couple of days to add as a side to summer lunches. New potato and chilli salad works best with fish or poultry and a glass of white wine.
- 750g new potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 rashers bacon, rind removed and chopped roughly
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 small red chilli,deseeded and very finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley to garnish
To make a delicious roasted potato chilli dish simply - tip the potatoes into a roasting tin and roast at 200⁰C /400⁰F/ Fan 180⁰C/ Gas Mark 6 for about 20- 25 minutes until golden and crisp. Add the bacon 5 minutes before the end of the roasting time just to heat through.
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 15 minutes until tender. Drain the potatoes and leave them to cool.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them evenly and set aside. Wipe out the saucepan and dry.
- Fry the bacon, adding a little oil if necessary, until golden. Lift out the bacon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Put the olive oil, lemon juice, chilli and onions into the pan and heat gently for a minute or two.
- Carefully add the potatoes to the pan and turn them over several times to thoroughly coat them, taking care not to break them up. Stir in the bacon.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, put the lid on the pan and leave everything to infuse and cool completely.
- Spoon the potatoes into a large dish and pour on any remaining oil. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
Try our classic potato salad recipe.