Broccoli, leek and cauliflower cheese
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This perfect broccoli, leek and cauliflower cheese recipe is really versatile because it makes a complete dish in itself, or a great side to fish, poultry, a BBQ or a Sunday roast! Cauliflower cheese is one of those real comfort foods, but the addition of broccoli and leek to this updated recipe means you get more of your 5 a day, and are able to use up any leftover vegetables in the fridge. This broccoli, leek and cauliflower cheese is easy to rustle up on a cold winter evening to cheer up the kids when they come home tired and hungry. It's full of flavour and perfect for the whole family.
- 225g broccoli
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 50g soft margarine
- 50g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 150g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Handful of white or brown breadcrumbs
This dish can also be cooked in the oven at 200⁰C / 400⁰F / Fan 180⁰C /Gas Mark 6 for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Break the broccoli into smaller florets if they are too large and put into a large saucepan of boiling salted water with the cauliflower and leeks. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Drain and place in a large ovenproof dish.
- Put the margarine, flour and milk into a saucepan and heat gently over a medium heat, stirring continuously until the margarine has melted. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously until the sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in the mustard and half the cheese.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables. Preheat the grill.
- Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the sauce.
- Grill for 5 – 6 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the topping golden brown and crispy.
We also have our classic cauliflower cheese recipe if you fancy something more original...