Herby roast tomatoes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This dish can be served on its own, as an accompaniment to a meal or is ideal to serve as part of a buffet for a special occasion or party. Quantities can so easily be reduced or increased according to the number of people you are serving. A few oven roasted tomatoes makes a delicious starter or served with a rocket salad and some crusty bread you have a deliciously light lunch. Serve hot or cold
- 8 medium sized salad tomatoes
- 4 - 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sprigs of fresh thyme
Any variety of tomatoes can be used in this recipe. Cherry, plum and beefsteak varieties are all ideal. Different colours and shapes make the dish a little different – simply adjust the cooking times accordingly.
- Preheat oven to 200⁰C/400⁰F/Fan 180⁰C/Gas Mark 6.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and arrange them in a shallow roasting tin or ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the oil, garlic, basil, oregano and sugar and pour over the tomatoes so they are all evenly coated. Pour on a little extra olive oil if necessary.
- Season with salt and black pepper and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes until the tomatoes are softened and beginning to brown but still retain their shape.
- Serve hot or cold with any remaining juices spooned over, garnished with sprigs of thyme.