Anne Chalant's Leite Creme
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
We asked you for your Mum's Best Dish and goodtoknow user Erin Satterly gave us her mum's delicious Leite Creme recipe. The traditional Portuguese Milk Custard is her family's favourite and we can see why. Rich, creamy and easy to make - why wouldn't you love this recipe? Similar to a crème brûlée, this light custard is topped with a crunchy sugar topping and is perfect for quick family desserts.
- 1 litre whole milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 250g soft brown sugar + extra for the crust
- 2tbsp cornflour
- Zest of 1 lemon
See all the entries for our Mum's Best Dish competition
- Beat the egg yolks in a large pan and mix with a little milk. Gradually add the rest of the milk whilst whisking.
- Add the lemon zest (ideally, grate the lemon with a Micro-plane or very fine grater over the pan). Add the cornflour and sugar and mix well.
- Heat over low to medium heat, stirring gently at all time. It should take 10 to 15 minutes for the mixture to thicken and reach a custard consistency.
- Pour the mix into individual or a large terracotta ramequin(s). Sprinkle the top with sugar and caramelise under the grill or with the blow-torch. Chill before serving.