Chicken, broccoli and blue cheese pasta
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Fresh, sweet broccoli, tender pieces of chicken and curly pasta all wrapped in a creamy blue cheese sauce. This is a simple and tasty dinner to try out any night of the week. This recipe uses Tenderstem broccoli, roughly chopped, as it's so easy to cook and prepare. We cooked it in with the pasta to save on time and washing up. If you save a cup of the starchy pasta water you can use it to make a creamy sauce with the melted blue cheese. If you're making this for the kids and don't think they'll like the strong-flavoured blue cheese, try it with cream cheese instead and add a squeeze of lemon.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- 200g Tenderstem broccoli, chopped
- Splash of white wine
- 300g fusilli pasta
- 150g blue cheese, like Stilton, sliced
Pregnant? Blue cheese is unpasturised but if you cook it through until it's piping hot then it is safe to eat. If you're still concerned, use a pasteurised cheese instead.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add salt and then the pasta. Cook for 3 minutes before adding the broccoli and then cook for a further 6 minutes. Drain, reserving a cupful of the pasta water.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion until soft before adding the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes, season and then add the wine.
- MIx the pasta and broccoli into the onions and chicken and then add the blue cheese letting it melt. Stir in some of the pasta water, then a little more until you have a loose sauce that coats the pasta. Serve.