Jane Morfett's potato dauphinoise
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Potato dauphinoise is a classic dish and Jane Morfett thinks her Mum's version is the best way to cook it. A simple yet delicious way to give your potatoes a quick twist, this creamy dish needs just 4 ingredients (plus seasoning) to make. If you're feeling extra naughty you could top it with a little grated cheese -shhh, we won't tell!
- 400ml milk
- 400ml double cream
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced
See all the entries for our Mum's Best Dish competition
- Add cream, milk, garlic, and pinch of salt and pepper into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the potatoes to the saucepan and stir in, then simmer for approx 10 mins, the mixture will start to thicken and potatoes will begin to soften.
- Transfer the contents of saucepan into a baking dish, arranging the potatoes evenly.
- Bake in oven 170°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3 for around 45 mins or until the top is nicely browned.