Sue Holderness' Earl Grey poached chicken with St.Clement's salad
Prep time:including marinating
Skill level: Bit of effort
We asked you to send in your Mum's Best Dish and goodtoknow user Kate Holderness couldn't hold back her excitement to share her mum's Earl Grey poached chicken with St.Clement's salad. She says: 'Mum's recipe actually tastes of Britain! Inspired by the quintessentially British tradition of afternoon tea, the fragrant lemony taste of Earl Grey and the lyrics to the old English nursery rhyme "Oranges and Lemons say the bells of St. Clement's".
IngredientsFor the chicken:
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 4 cups water
- 8 Earl Grey tea bags
- 2 Lleeks, 1 chopped and 1 whole.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2tbsps chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
For the salad:
- 2 cups of mixed green leaves (spinach, rocket, watercress).
- 1 orange, peeled and seeded.
- 1 lemon
- 1tbsp olive oil
See all the entries for our Mum's Best Dish competition
- Rub salt and pepper into the chicken at least 30 minutes beforehand (overnight if possible).
- Fill a large pot with the water and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add the tea bags, 1tsp of salt, 1tsp of pepper.
- Loosely snap one of the leeks to release flavour and add to pot. Cover pot and allow to infuse for 2 minutes before removing the tea bags.
- Add the chicken breasts to the infusion and bring to the boil. Remove from heat, cover and leave to cook for 25 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan heat the olive oil. Add chopped leek and lemon juice and cook for 3 minutes until softened. Add 1 cup of liquid from the tea infusion pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add salt & pepper & parsley.
- In a bowl, add the juice of a lemon to the olive oil. Toss in the green leaf salad and segments of the orange. Place in a tea cup and garnish with a few slithers of lemon rind.
- Serve the chicken on a full plate and spoon some of the leek & parsley sauce on top.