Wendy Kelly's butterfly buns
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
We asked you send in your Mum's Best Dish and Caroline Kelly just had to send in her mum Wendy's butterfly buns. A childhood classic, these tasty bites are just as good as you remember and perfect for school bake sales and baking with the kids
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g butter
- 2 eggs
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
For the buttercream icing
- 150g butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 2tbsp milk or water
- 1tsp vanilla extract (or cocoa, strawberry flavour, coffee depending on preference.)
See all the entries for our Mum's Best Dish competition
- Combine all the cake ingredients together in a bowl creaming together the butter and sugar first, then eggs, then dry ingredients. (I use a food processor rather than mixing by hand as I find it makes the sponge lighter. Also I sift the flour as I add.)
- Bake in a preheated oven on 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for approx 15 mins or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream icing, firstly soften the butter then gradually beat in the icing sugar and add the milk and flavouring as you go.
- Once the cakes have cooled, carefully cut out circles on the tops of the cakes, fill each hole with buttercream icing.
- Cut the circle in 2 and arrange on top to look like a butterfly. You can also add cake decorations to the butterflies depending on preference. Happy baking!!